Friday 22 January 2016

Makeup Clearout: Mousturizers

Hey everyone,

This whole "makeup clearout" title is something I came up with to aid me in stopping hoarding skincare and cosmetics. This time, I'm going through the moisturizer collection I have kept- and realized most were empty containers and jars. This seems to be a bit of a problem for me, but something about the new year is telling me to let go and take pictures for my blog, but otherwise get rid of the evidence. I recently had a bit of a clear out, so I hope you find this post helpful, or at the very least comforting- knowing I don't have 7 empty jars strewn about on my dresser! 


So here is the clear evidence that my dry skin is not just from the cold Canadian winters. It's actually because I desperately need to buy myself a new moisturizer!


First up is probably my all time favourite day cream, the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. I have used about 5 or 6 of these in the past, and although I've used the cream as well as the gel, the gel formula is my favourite for day time. I find it's a very simple but effective product that absorbs into the skin quickly, is a nice base for makeup and doesn't irritate my skin. It may not be the richest product for the winter months, but it pairs really well with oils and serums and is a good year-round base. 


Origins GinZing moisturizer is one I have also used before. This product is a slightly thicker and more tacky feeling version of the Clinique product, with the added bonus of a fresh orange scent. I do like this product, and find it works nicely at keeping my skin hydrated and providing a nice glow, but honestly I find it isn't the best base for makeup- at least for me. I find I get better results pairing this with a hydrating oil or serum at nighttime. 


Benefit's Total Moisture Facial Cream is one I've had for a long time, and neglected when I first purchased. I was used to a gel cream, and didn't like the feeling of this on my face. As time went on, however, I found this moisturizer was really nice paired with more glowy foundations, and was really hydrating and left my skin looking plumper and healthier. It has a nice cucumber-y fresh scent and a little goes a long way. Something I'd repurchase, but wouldn't necessarily recommend to somebody who prefers a gel or cream that they can't feel on their face. This is a thicker cream that leaves a residue and takes quite a bit longer to totally absorb into the skin.


Origins High-Potency-Night-A-Mins is a really lovely night cream. It was hydrating and smelled wonderful, didn't feel too greasy or thick. I think this was just a really nice, simple cream that did the job very well. It's probably my favourite product from Origins, I certainly prefer it over the GinZing face cream and the Drink-Up Intensive mask as well. I was definitely a bit sad to finish this one up.


The Vitamin E Aqua Boost Sorbet from the Body Shop is the lighter gel texture formula of their very popular Vitamin E Day Cream. I found that this one was quite interesting, light and cooling on the skin, but probably not the most hydrating formula I've ever tried. I liked it as a thicker gel day cream- but found that if I used it as a base for makeup the product sort of balled up and created a bizarre texture on my face. It was a great product for no-makeup days, but if I were to recommend a product from the Vitamin E range at the Body Shop it would have to be the Serum-in-Oil or regular serum over this one.


And another Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel- only in the stupid packaging I've mentioned before. Totally impossible to reach and a huge waste. Still infuriates me so I'll probably just stop rambling here.


The Origins Drink Up Intensive overnight moisture mask was a pleasant surprise. My first experience with this wasn't the best, I found it to feel quite thick and emulsify into a bit of an oily formula, but when I woke up I really loved the plumpness and glow left on my skin. I did continue to use this until I had completely ran out, and I must say if you can get over the slightly heavy feeling on your face you will really enjoy this as a hydrating treatment for your skin.


Finally, a hydrating serum- not a moisturizer, and one I loved so much I actually cut in half to get it all out. Indeed Labs Hydraluron is a fantastic hydrating serum that uses Hyaluronic acid to retain more moisture than your skin typically does by itself. I've been through three of these now, and while somewhat expensive, it's a really nice boost for your skin and comes in perfect packaging for travelling!

I hope you enjoyed this first instalment of Makeup Clearout. I have at least two more planned- so keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks for reading,

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment