Thursday 18 December 2014

Dior "Dream Skin Capture Totale" First Impressions Review

Hey everyone,

Apologies for the late upload- I had written this all out last night but had my final exam this morning and completely forgot to post!

This review is on a sample sized product, so I can't make any long-term claims, but I think it makes for a good first impression review. Enjoy!

 The tiny sample size that I had didn't exactly make it clear if it was skincare or makeup. I had opened it the night before, thinking it was a moisturizer or serum, and then when I saw the tint I decided it was makeup and saved it for the next morning.
 When I receive samples like this, most of the time I leave them for when I'm desperately running out of products to review, or they seem particularly interesting. This was a bit of both, and I applied it thinking it would be a sort of BB cream 'coverage with benefits' type of deal. I was amazed when I found out the full size retails for $115.00 CDN
 It has a pink tint to it, later I realized it wasn't a specifically made for a skintone like this, rather it's just a tinted product which sort of colour-corrects and mattifies.
 At first application I noticed it smelled incredible- it was a very floral scent but not overpowering. I deliberately applied it over my lips to show what sort of coverage it had. 
 I have some crazy blemishes and acne scars on my jaw line, and as you can see it didn't cover any of this, but it really did diminish the redness. 
 I liked how natural and mattifying it was. At this stage, I was very impressed. 
 Then came the horrific flash photo test. Turns out this product is probably marketed to layer with makeup. It left an unflattering white-cast to the skin, and even someone as pale as I am can't get away with that. In fact, in flash photography I barely look alive. (Also it really is just a very unflattering picture - but the best of all the ones I took... Fantastic.)
 I added some concealer (MAC Studio Finish in NW15) , powder (MAC's Mineralize SkinFinish Natural in Light Plus) and put my eyebrows in after realizing what a horror I looked like in the flash picture. (My lips is Marc Jacobs 'Kissability' over a very old GOSH lipliner!) 
 Turns out it did layer rather nicely and meant I didn't have to have a ton of makeup on areas of clear skin that I have.
Overall, my first impression of this product is a bit of a mixed one. The Sephora website claims that this is a skincare/primer hybrid product which can be applied morning and night. Personally, I wouldn't apply this at night time at all because it does have the tiniest amount of coverage and I have white pillow cases. It does mattify the skin really nicely and it felt incredibly light on my face. I think it would make a very luxurious primer, and if I had unlimited makeup funds I would purchase a full sized product just to experiment with it a bit more, I feel as though it could be a really great product - it just needs a better description of what it does and how to use it.

I hope you found this review a little bit helpful! Thanks for reading!

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment