Thursday 16 October 2014

Halloween Series: Cleopatra Inspired Makeup Tutorial

Hey everyone!

Halloween is quickly approaching, and I thought this year I would do some costume makeup to get you inspired or to take some tips for a makeup look you're creating! I've started off with a very common Halloween costume, Cleopatra. Now, I don't have any of Cleopatras features- but I think you can cheat a bit with makeup and get something similar! I hope you enjoy!

 For my foundation I chose MaxFactors "Lasting Performance" foundation in the shade 102. It's a shade or two too dark for me, but I'm certainly paler than Cleo, so I don't think it matters. Just blend well and bronze up!
 On the top of my cheekbones I added some NYX "Born to Glow" Liquid Illuminator. It leaves a nice glossy/shimmery finish as if you've been sweating out in the Egyptian sun. (In the most glamorous way possible!)
 No Egyptian Queen is going to have under eye circles, so I used Rimmel's "Wake Me Up" concealer to get rid of those pesky bags.
 To set everything without getting rid of the glow, I used Hourglass' "Ambient Lighting Powder" in Dim Light. A light dusting all over the face will do the trick, but if you're planning on having a few drinks/dances on Halloween you might need to touch up to continue looking flawless!
 My round face needs a lot of help when contouring, and there's no way Cleo didn't have killer cheekbones. I used NARS contour kit in "Olympia" to add some shadow in the hollows of my cheeks. I also used the yellow-toned highlighter on the bridge of my nose and under my eyes.
 Instead of blush, I used Dior's "Amber Diamond" for a more sparkly, bronzed effect.
 I used Anastasia's Brow Wiz in "Taupe" to outline my brows generously. Going a bit thicker is always recommended when going for an Egyptian Queen kinda look.
 To fill in my brows I used Buck from the Naked palette by Urban Decay. It added some depth and a deeper colour.
 To highlight under the brows and in the inner corner I took Virgin from the Naked palette.
 No Cleopatra look is complete without some gold lids, so I took Half Baked from the Naked Palette all over the lid.
 To add some depth in the crease I used Smog and Darkhorse from the same palette.
 To keep a clean line while adding some smokiness, I used Creep from the Naked Palette on my upper lashline dragged up towards my brow.
 For the pop of colour I used L'Oreal's Infallible Pressed Pigment Eyeshadow in "Endless Sea".
 I then added lots of liner using L'Oreal's liquid liner in a deep black colour.
 Under my eye I took Urban Decay's 24/7 liner in Flipside to add another pop of teal.
 I also took the same liner in El Dorado for a touch of gold under the eye.
 I then added lashings of mascara from MakeUpForEver. This is their Smoky Extravagant mascara in black. Be sure to add lots on the upper and lower lashes!
 For a glossy, neutral lip I used YSL's Rouge Volupte Shine lipstick in the shade 09.
 Here is my base with all of the liquid products. I used a Beauty Blender to flawlessly apply the liquids.
 I then used all of the powder products to add dimension and set all of the liquid.
 Here is the outline of the brows using my brow pencil.
 And filled in using Buck from the Naked Palette.
 Here is the highlight applied to my inner corner and brow bone.
 Then I added the golden eyeshadow all over the lid.
 I softly applied some deeper browns into the crease, but went a little higher than my actual crease to give the appearance of rounder eyes.
 Then I used the shimmery black shade to create a template for the eyeliner. It added some smokiness, so I also pulled it a little under my eyes as well. 
 Here's what it looks like with the added teal eyeshadow. I didn't want to take it up too high, but I think it needed to be seen with my eyes both open and closed. 
 Here's a closer look at where I applied the blue pigment.
 I then took my black liner to create some long cat eye flicks. I didn't take it all the way to my brows or block it out in a traditional Egyptian way, but I think it worked well. You can tailor it to your personal eye shape or how casual you want to costume makeup to be. 
 Then I added the kohl liners under my eyes to create a smokey look.
 Here's a close up!
 Then to finish it all off with some mascara!
 And of course, some very glossy lips. (Excuse my resting bitch-face)

I hope you enjoyed this look! Let me know what you think!

Happy Halloween!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment