Wednesday 3 September 2014

My Love/Hate Relationship with Clinique's Clarifying Lotion

Hey everyone,

Today I'm writing about a product that works sometimes, and ruins my skin on other occasions. It's Clinique's Clarifying Lotion, the second part of their three step system, which includes a cleanser (it's okay), a clarifying lotion (to tone) and a moisturizer (which I love and have repurchased many times!)
The Clarifying Lotion is not a lotion. It's a watery thin, alcoholic toner which can either clear up my acne in an instant (2 days) or tear my skin to pieces. I've used formulas 2 (for dry/combo skin) and 3 (which I believe is for combo/oily skin). Number 3 was horiffic and never ever worked for me. Number 2 is a bit better- but I'm still experimenting. I don't use it daily, only when my skin is especially cruel to me, and even then less is definitely more.
 I have had this 400ml bottle for ages because my Dad was supposed to pick up the moisturizer at the airport but the sales lady suckered him in to buying this for me too. It was a nice gesture though.
 I only ever use this when my skin is breaking out really badly. I apply a small amount to a cotton pad and lightly sweep it onto areas that are breaking out. If it starts stinging, I stop. I also make sure to moisturize the hell out my skin afterwards- although this product claims to be non-drying it definitely is.
Here is evidence of the ridiculous non-drying claim. It's incredibly astringent and I don't think it 'gently' does anything, but it can save your skin in the worst situations.

Overall, I would never, ever repurchase. But I won't be throwing this bottle out either. I'm so on the fence about this product that it makes me dislike it even more- but let me know if it's ever worked out for you!

Thanks for reading!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment