Monday 16 June 2014

The Importance of SPF

Hey everyone,

It's warming up in Ontario and I've already had my fair share of sunburn. I thought I'd dedicate today's post to the importance of SPF and what a difference it can make overtime.
I thought I'd list some important points for you all to read:

1) SPF 15 can protect 93% of UVB rays. SPF 30 can protect 97%. So get on it.

2) Applying a teaspoon amount for your face is what the facts on the bottle are relating to. Most people would never apply this amount, so you're not really getting the benefits that are listed.

3) Non-Comedogenic is always the way to go, especially if you have sensitive skin. It basically means it won't clog your pores and create a massive breakout (hint, don't use sunscreen by Roc... that stuff ruined my face for weeks!) It's usually listed on the packaging, but worth looking for.

4) SPF has to be washed off. It will stay on your skin even if it's not protecting it anymore. If it doesn't get washed off expect breakouts or worse... please wash it off at the end of the day!

5) Higher SPF that 50 isn't always better. It can actually cause more radiation without your skin burning. It's best to go no lower than SPF 30 and no higher than SPF 50.

6) Reapply. I know it sucks. I use liquid sunscreen after moisturizing and before makeup, and applying a liquid to my made up face isn't exactly ideal. So when you're wearing a face full of makeup, avoid the sun, stay in the shade, get some sunglasses and a hat. OR, try a powder sunscreen which can be applied over the top of makeup.

I would recommend Avène High Protection Emulsion SPF 40.
 Avène's sunscreen is light, made for sensitive skin and non comedogenic. It even says on the tube "Will not clog pores". 
 Roc's Soleil Protection + is for normal skin. It advertises itself as a moisturizer with anti-aging properties. It says it works for 24 hours, something misleading for a sunscreen as they certainly don't last for that amount of time. I would not recommend this.
Avène has broad spectrum protection, a must in a sunscreen. It protects from both UVA and UVB rays, while also being recognized by the Canadian Dermatology Association. It's also water resistant. 

I hope this post was helpful!
Thanks for reading, 
Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment