Saturday 15 March 2014

FOTD 2: Matte Smoky Eye

So here is another "Face of the Day", today I'm going for something a bit more dramatic and smoky in comparison to my last FOTD, so I hope you enjoy seeing new products and looks!
 To begin I used Dermaglow's "Perfect Primer". This smooths out my skin texture and provides a nice canvas for foundation application.
 I wanted a pretty flawless base, so I used Revlon "Colourstay", an almost matte, high coverage foundation. I used a Beauty Blender sponge to blend everything in (full review in the works), and it helps a high coverage foundation look a little more soft and natural.
 To cover any redness or blemishes I used MAC's Studio Finish concealer.
 For the eye makeup I'm using Nars "And God Created The Woman" palette.
 To start I'm using the top middle shade (Bellisima) all over my eyelid. It's a smoky neutral shade with definite purple undertones.
 I applied lightly all over my lid, and a bit more intensely at the lash like. It looks patchy here, but I that's due to using an iPhone for pictures and basement apartment lighting! The colours do blend really nicely, I promise!
 Next up is the lower right shade (Coconut Grove) which is a cool-toned dark brown.
 I applied this at the lash line and blended it up into my crease.
 Next is a shadow from a Bobbi Brown palette, but any matte cream colour would work. I applied this to my brow bone and slightly in the inner corner of my eye.
 I used MAC's Eye Kohl in "Prunella", a deep purple shade all along my upper lash line.
 I didn't have to apply it too neatly, because I wanted it to look dark and smoky. I used a small pencil brush to blend the liner out for an even more intense look.
 I then used Make Up For Ever's "Smoky Extravagant" mascara in a black shade. It doesn't lengthen the lashes too much, but adds lots of volume perfect for this type of eye makeup.
 Here's an overview of the lashes, they are looking quite thick and a little spidery (without being over the top) and they also look nice and curled, a curl which actually lasted an impressive amount of time.
 To add more cool-toned hues to my look, I opted for Dior's blush in "Rosy Glow". It's a beautiful bright pink with blue undertones and is actually natural looking on the skin, despite looking like Pepto Bismol in the pan.
 Again with the cool tones, I used Tarte's bronzer in "Park Avenue Princess". It's a more mauve toned bronzer with very little orange in it, perfect for girls with redness or fair skin.
 To continue with the mauve tones, I used NYX's Mega Shine Lipgloss in "Beige". It's natural and subtle with berry-toned colour. I wanted to use a gloss because the eye makeup was entirely matte, and so was my foundation. If you wanted to make the look even more dramatic, maybe try a matte nude lipstick or something brighter like a red or even an orange tone.
 Here is the eye makeup closeup. The purple tones really helped make my eyes look a bit greener than usual, so that's always a bonus! Because it's smokey up until the crease it makes my eyes look a lot deeper set, and it isn't necessarily too dark for a daytime look.
Here's the overall look, I hope you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment