Monday 24 February 2014

Under-Eye Concealers

Concealing under your eyes is something I never really had to do until about a year ago. Dark circles and puffiness have come about with being a student, less sleep, being less hydrated and stressed has definitely taken a toll on my eyes. It's something a lot of people struggle with, and something that lots of people are confused about when it comes to concealing them. Lots of people buy concealers that are specifically made for pimples/blemishes and use it under their eyes, when it can be quite thick and drying, often drawing attention to your eyes- and the product can settle in to fine lines and wrinkles. People make the same mistake with buying a brightening concealer for blemishes, which draws attention to pimples, but I will talk about covering blemishes in a different post.
Here are a few of my favourite undereye concealers, I'll explain why I like each one and what they are good for.

 Bourjois Healthy Mix Radiance and Anti-Fatigue concealer is made with 'fruit therapy', using apricot to help with radiance and raspberry as a micro-circulation activator. It has a moisturizing formula, it's oil free and dermatologically tested, something very important when buying a product for an area as sensitive as your eyes. This concealer is certainly radiant, and I like the fact it comes in a tube. You can use your fingers or a brush to blend it out which is handy for on-the-go or travelling. The entire colour range runs a bit yellow, so keep that in mind. For my eyes it doesn't work too well, simply because I prefer a pink undertone. Yellow will work well if you have olive undertones, but beware yellow products emphasizing dark circles by looking a bit muddy.
 Erase Paste by Benefit is a very creamy concealer described as "brightening camouflage for eyes and face". I have the shade Medium 02, which is my summer colour, but the actual product only comes in three shades, very annoying for those of you with darker skintones. The product is fantastic, thick but not sticky, blendable and really does conceal any darkness. I wouldn't use this on the face as it suggests, but for under your eyes it works wonders. I dislike the fact it's in a little tub, but I suppose because of it's thickness it has to be. I would recommend blending with fingers, brushes will leave it looking a bit streaky. I would also set it with a powder because it may move a little in hot weather or on a long day.
 Rimmels Wake Me Up concealer is one of my favourites. I love that it has a more pink-toned option, however the colour is too dark for me in the winter. It is described to have an "anti-fatigue effect and radiant glow" which is certainly true. It says it has peptides and a vitamin moisturizing complex, and I do find it to be hydrating. It doesn't settle in any fine lines and lasts quite well. This is actually my second tube of the stuff. It has a doe-foot applicator which is nice to apply the product, I tap it around my eye where needed and then blend it in with my fingers. It's very affordable and nice, but I wish there were more shades!
 Finally Maybelline's Instant Age Rewins Eraser Dark Circle under eye concealer. It's a treatment concealer designed specifically for your under eye area. I love the formula because it begins as a creamy consistency, and after I've blended it with my fingers it sets and becomes a little powdery. I don't feel the need to set this product as much as with the ones mentioned above, and find the brightening shade works really well for paler skintones. It certainly is brightening, and gives a bit of a Kim Kardashian effect if applied further down the cheeks. Sometimes I use this on my cupids bow and bridge of my nose if my skin feels particularly dull, a drugstore must have in my opinion!
Swatches from top to bottom, Bourjois shade 52, Benefit shade 02, Rimmel shade 245 and Maybelline treatment concealer.

Let me know what you think about under eye concealing, any tips or tricks let me know in the comments or tweet me @makeupbymegant !

No comments:

Post a Comment