Thursday 20 February 2014

Face Primers

Primers have a reputation for being "princess products", products you may not need but have anyway. Lots of people don't think they have a use, and that they don't really make a difference in the longevity of your makeup. This hasn't been at all true in my experience using makeup primers. My Smashbox Primer is actually one of the first high-end makeup purchases I've ever made and I still have half a tube of the stuff left, while using it on a regular basis. If you use too much primer (any more than a pea size amount) it can actually have a reverse effect on your makeup and break up your foundation and concealer products.

There is also lots of issues with silicone. Silicone is generally an ingredient in makeup primers. I have found that as long as you don't use silicone in your skincare, it is okay in your makeup. Makeup comes off at the end of the day and doesn't sink in to your skin. It is used to create a smooth base for your makeup and has a texture that is very silky. Some people don't like the texture of silicone based primers, I don't mind it, but there are other options too.

Water based primers don't have silicone and are usually a more creamy consistency. They sink into the skin a little more, and although they do help makeup to stay in place, I don't think it works as well as a silicone based primer to smooth the surface of your skin. If you have issues with uneven skin as I do, a silicone based primer will help your foundation glide on better.
Here are some of my favourite primers:


 First up is Smashbox's Photo Finish Light primer. Smashbox is famous for it's primer selection, they have a primer for anti-aging, hydrating, colour correcting and luminizing. I have the 'light' primer, it's oil-free and has more of a cream consistency. Although I don't mind oily products, I think prefer oil-free makeup because there is less chance of it disrupting the products you layer over top. This product increases the longevity of your makeup and is a simple primer that does it's job.
 
Benefit's "That Gal" primer is pink based with a bit of shimmer. It doesn't look shimmery on the skin but helps add a glow to your face when added to foundation. You can apply this first as a primer, helping improve the overall look and lasting power of your makeup, but you can also mix it with liquid foundation for a more glowy effect. I have also used this product alone as a highlighter. It's a nice primer and has the bonus of smelling like bubblegum!

 
Benefit's "Porefessional" is a primer that is definitely silicone based. It really glides over your skin and minimizes the appearance of pores. I think this is an especially nice base for your makeup because it makes the application really simple and the results are flawless. The colour is a nude shade but it blends in with no colour left over, so you can use it on any skintone.


 Dermaglow's "Perfect Primer" is another silicone based product. It is a clear gel consistency and really glides over your skin. This is one of my all time favourite primers because it makes your skin feel silky smooth. It's fairly expensive and is found in the skincare section of drugstores, but well worth it if you're in need of a long lasting makeup look that will photograph beautifully. This is a great recommendation for any brides-to-be out there.
 Laura Mercier's foundation primer is a classic, it's sort of a mixture between a gel and a cream and lasts really well on the skin. You don't need a lot, and although it doesn't give your skin a silicone-smooth base, it certainly helps your foundation adhere to your skin better and last for hours longer. I just have a sample size, but I've used it for a while and really like the results it gives.
Guerlain's L'Or Radiance Concentrate with Pure Gold is most definitely a princess product. I think primers are necessary in achieving a longer lasting makeup look, but I don't think pure gold is a necessary component. This little bottle of luxury is a serum-like primer which supposedly helps with the radiance of your skin. To be totally honest, I haven't used this product consistently enough to notice any results because I feel guilty applying gold to my face on any regular day! I save this stuff up for special occasions, because it does increase makeup longevity... and because I can tell people I've got flecks of pure gold underneath my makeup.

What do you guys think of makeup primers? Necessary or a "Princess Product"? Let me know in the comments below or tweet me @makeupbymegant !

No comments:

Post a Comment