Thursday 14 November 2013

My Top 10 Winter Essentials

So since winter is fast approaching, I figured I should write about the things I use during the colder months to help keep my skin happy. Here they are!
 This is Cliniques "Moisture Surge Overnight Mask". This is basically a thick moisturizer you can slather on when your skin is especially dry before you go to bed. The consistency is very thick, it absorbs slowly (hence the overnight thing) so I wouldn't use it unless it was before you went to bed, or if you were taking a day off and wanted some extra moisture. Personally I like to put it on and then read/watch Netflix etc etc before I sleep, since the consistency is a bit sticky and I like to let it absorb a bit before hitting the pillow.
 Avenes Skin Recovery Cream is made for extremely sensitive skin. I have used this after being sunburnt for some extra help, but it is equally as nice for when you've waited in the -10 weather for a bus to get home after a day of classes and your skin feels chapped, peely and downright unpleasant. Apply sparingly, a little goes a long way and I think it just gives your skin a bit of extra help with your regular cleansing and moisturizing routine.
 I was always skeptical about facial oils, I thought if you had oily skin your skin wouldn't require extra oil, but boy was I wrong. This little bottle of magic (Boscia's Tsubaki Beauty Oil) plumps up your skin, moisturizes it and keeps it incredibly soft. Again, a little goes a long way. I tap a couple of drops onto my fingers and pat it all over my face.
 Winter is the season for lips so chapped they want to fall off of your face. To combat this I use Lush's "Sweet Lips" lip scrub. It's basically sugar in a pot, and the directions are simple. Apply to your lips, rub them around, and lick off the sugar to reveal super soft kissable lips. They come in loads of different flavours; popcorn, minty-something, and cotton candy. I have the chocolate-something flavour and I think it's a nice little treat for your belly and lips. It's seriously delicious.
 After scrubbing my lips, I like to use a moisturizing lipbalm. Currently this Burt's Bees Ultra-Conditioning balm lives next to my bed and I think it's great. I've really been loving La Roche Posay's lipbalm also, but that's in my purse and almost finished, so I thought I'd show this one instead. It's very affordable, natural and definitely does the job.
 Dry skin is definitely a winter issue, but so are dry hands and feet. Soap and Glory's "Hand Food" is by far the best hand cream I have ever used. It smells heavenly and works so, so well. I have used up a little tube and moved on to this massive pump bottle that I keep beside my bed for all my hand and feet needs. I would be reluctant to use another hand cream after this one, it is excellent.
 Hair masks are a luxurious little step I think really helps during the winter months. This L'Oreal one isn't my favourite, but I always like to have one on hand to help with split ends, dryness, and brittle hair. It also helps with frizziness and although I don't think it's essential, hair masks do help replenish your hair with some extra moisture.
 During the winter when your skin gets dry and a bit flaky, gentle body scrubs help keep everything smooth and soft. I particularly like Soap and Glory's "The Scrub of Your Life" for keeping my skin soft, as it isn't too drying like other scrubs can be and smells delicious.
 If hair masks aren't your thing, a serum on the ends of your hair works well to fight frizziness and keep split ends at bay. A little goes a long way, and I know this because this bottle has lasted me for ages! The coconut smell is enough to win me over, but the formula doesn't leave my ends looking greasy which is always a bonus. I apply this to damp hair and let it work it's magic to keep my hair soft and smooth.
A comb is essential during the winter. My hair likes to fall out in the shower, so much so I'm surprised I'm not bald upon leaving. I've learned to comb my hair before I get into the shower, so any hair that's bound to leave can easily be removed from a dry comb, rather than from the bottom of the tub. Gross. I like this picture particularly because you can see where some of the prongs have snapped off, just to illustrate what a tangly mess my hair can be.

I hope you've enjoyed this winter essentials post, let me know what you like to use to keep your skin happy during the colder months!

No comments:

Post a Comment