Wednesday 27 November 2013

Lazy Nights

Some nights I get home, after work or class (or exhausting Christmas shopping) although I want to take all my makeup off, I sort of don't want to look like an oily mess for the rest of the night. On these days I do two cleansings, one when I get home, and a proper one (same as my nighttime routine I posted about here) before I go to bed. This is for lazy nights when I want to look half-decent makeup-less, but don't want to leave my makeup on for hours after I'm done the day. Caroline Hirons (amazing lady with an amazing blog) tweeted recently "If you get home at 6 and go to bed at 11 that's 5 extra hours your skin could be covered in oils/balms. Not dirt, makeup and SPF." After reading this, I've been inspired to give my skin time to breathe. Lately, I've worn makeup everyday. I'm trying out new products to write about, my skin looks better in makeup (now my skin is actually getting better) but to be honest I think it needs to slow down a bit and not be covered in anything too heavy until bedtime.
 To start, Vichy Purete Thermale Waterproof Eye Makeup remover. This is one of those eye makeup removers in a bottle with half oil/half other stuff which you shake up, pour onto a cotton pad and gently swipe over your eyes to remove eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara. I bought this because it was on sale during the summer and it's actually really nice. Not too drying, doesn't leave a really oily residue on my skin and takes even waterproof mascara off easily. Recently I haven't been rubbing my eyes at all, but soaking a cotton pad in this stuff and just holding it onto my eye for about 30 seconds. It seems to work just as well without asking for premature crows feet wrinkles.
 After my eye's are clean, I use Bioderma, cult beauty cleansing water. This stuff is really good. Don't get me wrong, it is NOT a proper cleanser. It's a quick-makeup-switch cleanser, just-been-to-the-gym-and-need-to-get-sweat-off-of-my-face cleanser, not an end of the day take it all off cleanser. However, when I plan on double cleansing like I do tonight, I soak two cotton pads and take off the face makeup. I use one to get the majority off and another just to make sure it's all gone. If there's any miniscule residue left, my cleansing balm will get it later.
 Next I use a light moisturizer so that I don't look shiny for the rest of the night. I do love this moisturizer, it's gel based, great under makeup and definitely works to keep your skin soft. Raved about it before so I won't go into too much detail.
 For a quick and effective lipbalm I apply Elizabeth Ardens Eight Hour Cream. This gel like moisturizer is super fragrant (ugh) but works really, really well. I apply this to my lips mostly, but I've applied it to my elbows and other particularly dry patches before too.
 Finally I take one of these demon hairdresser-ish clips and clip the hair out of my face. Slightly more attractive that a bun on top of my head, but keeps the hair out of my face.
Finished product, clean skin for a lazy night in without looking like an oily mess.

Hope you guys enjoyed this post and don't forget to second-cleanse your face tonight!

For Caroline Hirons Twitter, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment