Wednesday 17 September 2014

Hourglass "Film Noir Full Spectrum" Mascara in Onyx

Hey everyone,

Today's review is about Hourglass' 'Film Noir Full Spectrum' mascara, a freebie I received as part of a Sephora 500 point perk. It also came with the Hourglass primer, a lipstain and a lipstick, all of which I will review in the coming weeks. I was intrigued by the mascara because I'm always intrigued by expensive makeup which will inevitably go bad within the coming weeks and months. Expensive mascara baffles me, but I do find that some of the best mascaras do cost a little bit more.
 I only received the sample size, so I wasn't expecting excellent packaging, but for a mascara I think it's totally fine. I don't think mascara needs fancy packaging, but I think it should when you pay a premium for a product.
 The shade is Onyx, which is the only available colour they provide. It's a softer black, I wouldn't describe it as a jet black but I don't think it's meant to be. It has a slight grey-tone to it, nothing noticeably different but does look slightly more natural than a jet black formula. The formula is actually quite glossy, something I don't usually like in a mascara, but since it creates more natural looking lashes I don't think it's a bad thing. 
 The mascara has a relatively wet formula, but once it as dried it doesn't go anywhere. I typically buy waterproof mascaras, and this one didn't flake or smudge. 
 This is the wand on one side. As you can see, they did try to get an hourglass shape (of course) and I think it's really comfortable to apply the mascara. It fits my eye shape really nicely, I don't worry that it might prod my eyeball or smudge my eye makeup. 
The other side is a bit fuller, and I think it really helps to add volume while the thinner side combs lashes through for length.

While I really like this mascara, and will enjoy using this sample, I'm not sure if I could spend the money to buy the full size. I've heard that it is prone to drying up (as will all mascaras) but if people are complaining about it, I think it might be a little more of a problem than I am anticipating. However, while it's new I think it's great, something I would recommend to anyone willing to splurge on mascaras.

I hope you enjoyed this review!
Thanks!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment